Packed with vegetables, this healthy Brown Rice Fried Rice is easy to prepare making it a perfect vegetarian weeknight meal!
Are you looking for a healthy recipe that’s perfect for a busy weeknight meal?
This delicious Brown Rice Fried Rice recipe is for you!
Not only is this recipe healthy, but it’s also easy to adapt with any vegetables you have available to create a tasty plant-based dinner.
I crafted this recipe from my fond memories of Bali where I ate one specific dish, Nasi Goreng, in abundance. Indonesian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng) is commonly served for breakfast and served in many Warungs scattered around the island. During my stay, I was fortunate to learn how to make fried rice during a visit to an organic farm in Ubud. I was surprised by its simplicity but also its vibrant flavours. How could anything be this easy to prepare and so delicious?
I can’t wait to share this simple but mouth-watering recipe with you! 🙂
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Not only is this recipe great for using leftovers to recreate a wholesome dinners, you can also create some yummy lunches!
- The homemade fried rice sauce is super tasty (and so easy) that gives this dish a real spark! You’ll wonder why you’ve never made it from scratch before.
- This meal is simple to adapt to suit any dietary requirements whether it’s gluten-free, vegetarian, egg free or vegan!
Healthy Fried Rice:
For a nourishing homemade recipe that’s both good for you and delicious, I adapted the authentic fried rice recipe I learned in Bali. After all, if you’re going to prepare fried rice at home, you have to love it!
Not only is this version vegetarian, easily vegan and gluten-free, it’s jam-packed with seasonable vegetables.
BROWN RICE FRIED RICE – Although the authentic recipe is prepared using day old white rice, for a healthy twist, I’ve used brown rice. Not only is brown rice a nutritious whole-grain, the nutty chewy texture works perfectly in this dish!
SEASONAL VEGETABLES – This meal is perfect to whip up last minute with vegetables you have on hand, or using seasonal ingredients picked up fresh from the farmers markets!
HOMEMADE FRIED RICE SAUCE – Many supermarket sauces contain additives, preservatives and refined sugars and trans-fats, preparing a simple 5-minute fried rice sauce (kecap manis) at home means you know exactly what you’re putting in your body!
I empower you to mix and match with the veggies to transform this recipe to your own! 🙂 x
The Best Vegetables in Fried Rice
The great thing about Fried Rice is that you can include almost any veggie or herbs, my personal tried and tested favours include:
- Bean sprouts
- Green Beans
- Snow peas
- Swiss chard
How To Make Brown Rice Fried Rice
Time needed: 30 minutes.
STEP BY STEP – How To Make Fried Rice From Scratch:
- Prepare the Fried Rice Sauce (Kecap Manis)
In a small saucepan over a low heat, add 1/2 cup of tamari and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes simmering gently until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool. The sauce will become thick, similar to molasses, as it cools.
- Prepare the Fried Rice Ingredients
Finely chop your vegetables of choice to roughly the same size. I love using 300g mushrooms, 4 spring onions, 1 carrot and 1 capsicum.
- Cook the Protein
During this step, in a heated wok or frying pan, many people either cook cubed tofu, shredded chicken or fry an egg and set aside. For an eggless, no meat or vegan version, feel free to skip this step.
- Cook the Ingredients
In a heated wok or frying pan, add the vegetables in order of what would take the longest to cook to the shortest time to cook. Stir frequently.
- Add the Rice & Sauce
Add the day old rice or chilled pre-cooked rice and drizzle over the sauce. Stir cooking for an additional few minutes.
- Serve Hot with Garnishes
Divide into bowls and top with your garnishes of choice. I love using fresh chilli, fresh cilantro and fresh bean sprouts.
Fried Rice Tips & FAQ
Is fried rice gluten free?
While dinning is restaurants or at a friends house, practice caution and enquire about the ingredients or products used. Typically fried rice contains soy sauce which is known to contain gluten.
If you’re preparing yummy fried rice from scratch, the recipe can be adapted to “gluten-free” by substituting Soy Sauce with Tamara sauce. Like all products though, it’s best to read the ingredients list or enquire with the manufacturer to ensure it aligns with your dietary requirements.
Fried Rice using uncooked rice
Most fried rice recipes suggest you use day old rice. But, what happens if you’re craving fried rice and you don’t have any left-over rice?
Simple, you prepare the rice before you cook the recipe. Although it’s recommended the rice is left in the fridge for a few hours to become drier, I’ve found that simply cooling the rice is sufficient.
If you don’t have precooked rice, cook 1 1/2 cups of brown rice in 2 1/4 cups of water. Then continue with the remainder of the method.
Egg free fried rice
It’s so easy to prepare vegan eggless fried rice!
Either omit the egg completely or substitute it with a chickpea flour omelette or scrambled tofu.
Brown Rice Fried Rice with Mushrooms
Fried Rice Sauce (Kecap Manis) Ingredients
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari sauce*
- ¼ cup brown sugar
Fried Rice Ingredients
- 3 cups cooked brown rice**
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300g mushrooms washed and finely diced
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and finely chopped
- 2cm knob of ginger peeled and grated
- 1 carrot peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum seeds remove and finely sliced
- 240g bean sprouts washed (optional)
- 4 organic eggs fried (omit for vegan equivalent)
- 1 small red chilli finely sliced (optional)
- handful of cilantro or thai basil
Fried Rice Sauce (Kecap Manis) Method
- In a small saucepan over a low heat, add the tamari sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes simmering gently until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool. The sauce will become thick, similar to molasses, as it cools.
Fried Rice Method
- Over a medium to high heat, preheat a wok or deep frying pan with the extra virgin olive oil. Add the diced mushrooms to the wok and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and it's evaporated in the pan. Cook until they are golden brown.
- Once the mushrooms are brown, include the spring onions, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Cook for one minute until aromatic.
- Add the carrots and red capsicum, stirring occasionally for roughly 2-5 minutes. Add a drizzle of oil, include the cooked brown rice to the pan, frying on a high heat for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir through the homemade Kecap Manis sauce until well combined.
- Distribute the Brown Rice Fried Rice among four bowls and top with your garnishes of choice. We used bean sprouts, fried egg, fresh chilli and coriander (cilantro) leaves. Bon Appétit! 🙂
Equipment: This recipe may contain links to products and equipment that I use and love myself. The links may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and does not include any other condiments or garnishes. Although Curated Life Studio attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered as estimates and do not replace or substitute a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Loved This Recipe?
It would make my day if you left a comment below, or shared this post with your friends and family!
Now It’s Your Turn…
I hope you enjoyed this Easy Brown Rice Fried Rice recipe.
Now I want to hear from you – what speedy weeknight dinner recipe would you love to see on my blog?
Let me know in the comments below. 🙂
Brown Rice Fried Rice with Mushroom v.02 – July 2020
Brown Rice Nasi Goreng v.01 – July 2017