Brown Rice Fried Rice with Mushrooms
Packed with vegetables, this healthy Brown Rice Fried Rice with mushroom is easy to prepare making it a perfect weeknight meal! Gluten free + easily vegan.
Servings: 4 servings
Fried Rice Sauce (Kecap Manis) Ingredients
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari sauce*
- ¼ cup brown sugar
Fried Rice Ingredients
- 3 cups cooked brown rice**
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300g mushrooms washed and finely diced
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and finely chopped
- 2cm knob of ginger peeled and grated
- 1 carrot peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red capsicum seeds remove and finely sliced
- 240g bean sprouts washed (optional)
- 4 organic eggs fried (omit for vegan equivalent)
- 1 small red chilli finely sliced (optional)
- handful of cilantro or thai basil
Fried Rice Sauce (Kecap Manis) Method
In a small saucepan over a low heat, add the tamari sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 5 minutes simmering gently until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool. The sauce will become thick, similar to molasses, as it cools.
Fried Rice Method
Over a medium to high heat, preheat a wok or deep frying pan with the extra virgin olive oil. Add the diced mushrooms to the wok and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and it's evaporated in the pan. Cook until they are golden brown.
Once the mushrooms are brown, include the spring onions, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Cook for one minute until aromatic.
Add the carrots and red capsicum, stirring occasionally for roughly 2-5 minutes. Add a drizzle of oil, include the cooked brown rice to the pan, frying on a high heat for a further 2 minutes.
Stir through the homemade Kecap Manis sauce until well combined.
Distribute the Brown Rice Fried Rice among four bowls and top with your garnishes of choice. We used bean sprouts, fried egg, fresh chilli and coriander (cilantro) leaves. Bon Appétit! :)
* "Tamari Sauce" is fermented soy sauce with lower salt content and typically gluten-free depending on the brand. This can be substituted with soy sauce instead.
** For Uncooked Brown Rice cook 1 1/2 cups of brown rice in 2 1/4 cups of water for approximately 20 minutes or as per packet instructions. Continue with remainder of the recipe.
Nutrition: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. Although Curated Life Studio attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered as estimates and do not replace or substitute a professional nutritionist's advice.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 186mg | Vitamin A: 4850IU | Vitamin C: 53.6mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 4mg