Delicious either baked or fried, this delicious Lemongrass Tofu is not only vegan and gluten-free, it’s prepared using 6 ingredients making it easy to prepare for an assortment of recipes!
|Chapter 1||Chapter 2||Chapter 3|
|Why You’ll Love This Recipe||Nutritional Information||Lemongrass Marinade|
|Chapter 4||Chapter 5||Chapter 6|
|How To Cook Lemongrass Tofu||How To Use Lemongrass Tofu||Jump To Recipe|
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
- Prepared with just a handful of ingredients, this recipe is easy to prepare and can be made in advance!
- Being gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan, this recipe caters for most dietary requirements.
- This recipe is versatile and the different meal ideas are endless. Perfect for either lunch or dinner, toss the cooked tofu through a stir-fry, BBQ, soup or salad!
- The star to this recipe is the Lemongrass Marinade, which can be adapted and used with any protein like ethically sourced fish, tofu or even tempeh.
- Using fresh ingredients, not only is this recipe delicious, it’s also incredibly healthy!
- Citrusy, tangy, sticky and CRISPY – this recipe is YUM!
This recipe is so delicious and moreish that you could easily mistake it as being a treat rather than something nourishing for the body. This recipe however contains a number of nutritious and whole food ingredients. Some of my favourite being:
LEMONGRASS – Commonly used in Ayurveda for holistic healing, lemongrass contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties know to relieve illnesses, inflammation and digestive issues. 1
TOFU – Tofu is a fantastic ingredient for people consuming a plant-based diet because it’s an excellent source of protein, calcium and iron. In addition to reducing some symptoms of menopause, tofu is also thought to help reduce levels of cholesterol, and therefore reduce the risks of heart disease.2
GINGER & GARLIC – Both ginger and garlic are loaded with nutrients and medicinal properties. They contain powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, known to lower blood sugar and combat colds and infections.
- Health Benefits Of Lemongrass And How To Use It. [online] Available at: eMediHealth [Accessed 29 December 2020].
- Everything you need to know about tofu. [online] Available at: medicalnewstoday [Accessed 10 February 2021].
Lemongrass Marinade Ingredients:
While I love using this recipe with tofu, this simple marinade can be used with any protein. My favourite ingredients for this recipe include:
- lemongrass or zest from a lemon.
- fresh ginger
- soy sauce or Tamari sauce
- maple syrup or honey
- lime juice
Optional Extras Include:
- fresh chilli or chilli flakes, depending on personal taste or spiciness.
- corn flour can be added to make extra crispy tofu (I prefer my recipe without)
- fresh coriander
How To Cook Lemongrass Tofu:
HOW TO BAKE LEMONGRASS TOFU:
This is a great option if you want to prepare other ingredients and not have to watch the tofu cook.
While the tofu is marinating, preheat the oven to 180° Celcius and line a baking tray with unbleached baking paper.
Tip the tofu onto the baking tray and arrange it in an even layer. Bake for approximately 20 – 30 minutes (flipping the tofu half-way) until the tofu is golden brown and slightly caramelised. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Serve as desired.
HOW TO FRY LEMONGRASS TOFU:
I love frying my tofu on a griddle pan to get those perfect little sear marks!
After the tofu has finished marinating, heat a cast-iron skillet or a griddle frying pan over a medium heat.
Once warmed, add the extra virgin olive oil and the marinaded tofu. Cook for approximately 15 minutes flipping occasionally and cooking on each side, until the tofu is golden brown and with slight crust on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Bon Appétit!
How To Use Lemongrass Tofu:
Simple to add to almost any asian-inspired meal, this simple recipe has many different uses. I personally love it served:
- added to your favourite fried rice recipe.
- included in asian-inspired soups like this Vegetable Curry Soup recipe.
- in your favourite salad or lunchtime salad bowl, like this Broccoli & Quinoa Salad.
- included in your favourite noodle dish – it’s perfect in this Singapore Noodles recipe.
|Vegetable Curry Soup||Broccoli & Quinoa Salad||Singapore Noodles|
Lemongrass Tofu (Baked or Fried)
- 450 g organic firm tofu drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Lemongrass Marinade Ingredients
- 1 stalk of lemongrass (tender inner stalk only)* finely minced
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger root grated
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely minced
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Lemongrass Tofu Marinade Instructions
- Chop the organic tofu ensuring all pieces are approximately 2.5cm in size (strips or cubes work fine.) Press the tofu between two paper towels to remove the excess liquid. Set aside in a flat baking dish arranging in an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the Lemongrass Marinade ingredients together. Pour the marinade over the tofu and allow to sit for a minimum of 15 minutes (if you have the time).
(Option 1) How to Bake Lemongrass Tofu
- While the tofu is marinating, preheat the oven to 180° Celcius and line a baking tray with unbleached baking paper.
- Tip the tofu onto the baking tray and arrange the pieces in an even layer. Bake the tofu for approximately 20 – 30 minutes (flipping the tofu half-way) until the tofu is golden brown and slightly caramelised. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Serve as desired.
(Option 2) How to Fry Lemongrass Tofu
- After the tofu has finished marinating, heat a cast-iron skillet or a griddle frying pan over a medium heat. Once warmed, add the extra virgin olive oil and the marinaded tofu. Cook for approximately 15 minutes flipping occassionally and cooking on each side, until the tofu is a golden brown and a slight crust on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Bon Appétit! 🙂
Equipment: This recipe may contain links to products and equipment that I use and love myself. The links may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and does not include any other condiments or garnishes. Although Curated Life Studio attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered as estimates and do not replace or substitute a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Loved This Recipe?
It would make my day if you left a comment below, or shared this post with your friends and family!
Now It’s Your Turn!
I want to hear from you – leave a comment below on how you would love this recipe served! 🙂
Hey There, I’m Kylie. My passion is plant-based recipes and I want to help you create something gorgeous!
I believe in taking a slow approach to food – to eat locally, seasonally and consciously.
When I’m not taking photos, you can find me wandering the coastal paths of South-East Australia.
I tried this marinade with lemon rind instead of lemongrass and it turned out perfect! I’ll be prepare this again that’s for sure.