Overflowing with roasted veggies, this Vegan Lasagna with Cauliflower Béchamel is so delicious you won’t believe it’s vegan!
Aside from delicious plant-based food, my second love is reading.
I recently the memoir When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. Diagnosed with lung cancer before the age of 35, Dr Paul Kalanithi, a neurosurgeon, lover of literature, husband and father records his transition from doctor to patient. Although inevitably the story outlines what it means to die, more importantly, it emphasises the question; what does it mean to live?
The book is as haunting as it is beautiful. Reading it made me reminiscent of my own health challenges. It inspired me to reflect on what I consider a “meaningful life”. What brings meaning to my life? How would I like to be remembered? What do I want to achieve?
For me, a meaningful life is one where I wake up with purpose. Where I enjoy going to work and surround myself with empowering and respectful people. To learn and discover new things, and where I find satisfaction with what I have, not with the things I want. Finally, I want to go to sleep smiling knowing I’ve influenced somebody in a small but beautiful way. I don’t think success, or even happiness for that matter, should be measured in having that x job, x friends, x money because it might never be achievable. On the contrary, I think it should be measured by those small perfect moments where you find yourself curious, filled with wonder, or by laughing from the depths of your stomach. It’s those moments that I strive for.
Vegan Lasagna with Cauliflower Béchamel
- 3 x capsicum seeded and roughly sliced.
- 2 x aubergine thinly sliced 5mm lengthways.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- 65 g spinach washed.
- 250 g of gluten free lasagna pasta sheets.
- 1 large cauliflower florets chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 1/4 cup of plant-based milk.*
- 500 g of mushrooms washed and finely diced.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 3 cloves of garlic finely sliced.
- A small bunch of basil the stalks finely diced and the leaves left aside for garnish.
- 2 x 240g can of Italian Plum Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius, while preparing the ingredients.
- On two pre-lined baking trays, place the capsicum and aubergine. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously. Place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden and caramelised.
- To make the Cauliflower Béchamel: Place the cauliflower florets in a medium to large saucepan of salted boiling water and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until tender. Set Aside.
- Once tender, ake 1/4 cup of the “cauliflower water” and pout it into a blender. Drain the cauliflower florets and include it to the blender with the nutmeg and plant-based milk. Blend until smooth.
- To make the Tomato Sauce: In a large saucepan over a medium high heat, cook the diced mushrooms until the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are golden. Include the sliced garlic and basil stalks stirring until fragrant. Include the cans of Italian Plum Tomatoes and capers. Simmer for 10 minutes. Set Aside.
- Construct the Lasagna: In a 3-litre capacity baking dish, spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce on the bottom, cover with some lasagna pasta sheets, a layer of roasted vegetables, a layer of spinach and then a layer of cauliflower béchamel. Repeat for 2 or 3 times ensuring the final layer is the béchamel sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve with basil leaves and fresh a side salad!
Equipment: This recipe may contain links to products and equipment that I use and love myself. The links may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and does not include any other condiments or garnishes. Although Curated Life Studio attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered as estimates and do not replace or substitute a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Loved This Recipe?
It would make my day if you left a comment below, or shared this post with your friends and family!
Hey There, I’m Kylie. My passion is plant-based recipes and I want to help you create something gorgeous!
I believe in taking a slow approach to food – to eat locally, seasonally and consciously.
When I’m not taking photos, you can find me wandering the coastal paths of South-East Australia.