Easy to prepare, this Smashed Avocado Toast served with Almond Dukkah is as satisfying as it is nourishing. Perfect for those lazy mornings in bed or for an easy lunch or dinner.
I adore hearing about other people’s creative process, their inspiration, and their state of “flow”. Have you ever lost yourself in the task, only to discover several hours had gone past? I love those moments. Whether it is preparing a meal, painting a picture or sharing a deliciously long conversation, it is these short gaps in time that should be cherished.
Many people seem baffled when I explain that I am not always “creative”. I’m not able to pick up a camera on the whim and create something beautiful. It’s a process, one that I don’t fully understand myself.
Being creative in the evenings is easier. When I’ve had one too many glasses of wine, and I’m relaxed. Usually I have to be untroubled, however, when I’m in Paris creativity spills from my soul whether I’m sad or not. Listening to classical music helps, at times even a metronome. That is why I love photography in the first place – it’s the perfect balance between technical camera settings, in seeing the light and composing the image. It’s a challenge to balance all elements and still remain in creative harmony.
When I’m able to find that space, it’s like I see the world through different eyes. It’s as energising as it is exhausting. I can shoot until the end of the earth. I am invincible feeling neither pain nor fatigue, and when it’s finished, I need a day to recover.
It’s in these moments that I need to practice self-care. I usually spend the day in bed, reading a book skimming over photoshop and preparing nourishing and simple dishes. This avocado on toasted sourdough is generally my “go to” – it’s diverse making it perfect for any meal, and it can be altered 1000 times to suit your taste, mood or pantry inventory.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 slices of thickly cut rye sourdough bread*
- 2 organic & sustainably sourced eggs (optional) **
- 1 lemon, to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. On a baking tray, roast the almonds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds and ground cumin for 5 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Once roasted, remove the baking tray from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the rye sourdough bread, and boil the eggs in boiling water for approximately 6 minutes. Once cooked, remove the egg's shell and thinly slice.
- Add the roasted almonds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds and ground cumin, peppercorns, sea salt flakes and chilli flakes to a blender or food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- To serve, place the sliced avocado on the toast, topped with the sliced egg, a sprinkle of Almond Dukkah and squeeze of lemon juice.
- *or gluten-free alternative.
- ** omit for vegan variation
I would love to hear what your creative process is in the comments section below! 🙂