On the table in under 30 minutes, this homemade broccoli soup is so creamy you’ll forget it was prepared without cream! Naturally detoxifying, this recipe is not only delicious but so good for you!
In our quiet street lined with eucalyptus trees, kookaburra laughter filled the air. Closing my eyes, I savoured the smell of chopped grass and the fresh air. Spring resonates with me more than the other seasons. Perhaps because it’s a time of renewal and restoration.
During Spring, I stock the pantry with fresh vegetables to cleanse my body with healing and nourishing ingredients. Despite this, while having conversations with my friends I am reluctant to use the word “cleanse” because it is often associated with unhealthy elimination diets. Diets such as the “lemonade cleanse” which substitutes regular meals with a mixture of lemonade, cayenne pepper and maple syrup. Then there is also “fruit fasting” where one piece fruit, commonly an apple, replaces regular meals.
A passion of mine is nutrition and learning how to support the body holistically through a plant-based whole foods. Based on what I’ve learned, I don’t believe that these specific elimination diets are healthy or sustainable for the body.
Our bodies require a balance of carbohydrates, proteins fats and minerals to function healthily. The liver specifically processes toxins through the body by the energy sourced from carbohydrates. It seems counter-intuitive to starve the body of the energy it requires to process toxins, when the aim of “cleansing” is to remove toxins in the first place. Instead, I believe in supporting the our bodies natural detoxification process by eating foods high in fibre, whole grains, fruit and vegetables.
Luckily, this Creamy Broccoli Soup not only contains ingredients that support our bodies, it’s also simple to prepare and incredibly delicious!
Vegan Broccoli Soup Tips & FAQ
The quality and the kind of ingredients used generally determines how healthy the recipe is! Rich in iron, beta-carotene and vitamin C, if prepared using fresh ingredients like broccoli and spinach, broccoli soup is incredibly good for you!
Although I personally prefer my meals fresh, broccoli soup can certainly be frozen. To prevent the soup from spoiling, I recommend freezing the soup within three to four days of preparing it and to consume it within two to three months thereafter.
It’s so easy to prepare creamy dairy free or vegan broccoli soup! Instead of adding milk of cream, you can substitute it with the below substitutions instead:
* Coconut milk;
* Almond milk;
* Vegan or lactose free cheese;
* Nutritional yeast; or
* A creamy ripe avocado.
I love creating and experimenting with my recipes! To make any Broccoli soup recipe your own, experiment with how you serve with the dish. I recommend trying any of the following:
* Toasts seeds like chia seeds, sunflower seeds or pepitas;
* Legumes like split-peas, lentils or chickpeas;
* Homemade garlic croutons;
* Gluten-free pasta or rice;
* Other root vegetables like potatoes.
Rich in iron, beta-carotene and vitamin C, Broccoli soup also contains ingredients which naturally support and detoxify the body, including:
BROCCOLI contains properties that reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol and aids with general digestion. In addition to all the health benefits, broccoli contains “isothiocyanates” which plays a prominent role in assisting the body to detoxify carcinogens at a genetic level.
SPINACH contains the antioxidant, beta-carotene, which has been observed to combat many cancers. In addition to containing isothiocayanates, Spinach is also rich in iron, fibre and magnesium. Please be aware, spinach contains oxalic acid that can reduce the body’s ability to absorb iron and calcium. Pairing spinach with foods rich in Vitamin C (tomatoes, lemon juice, capsicum etc.) aid in this absorption.
CAYENNE PEPPER is not only thought to aid with digestion and slow intestinal gas but to also act as a mild diuretic that increases kidney cleansing.
LEMON JUICE helps stimulate gastric juices to aid with digestion. Lemons are also high in vitamin C, pairing perfectly with Spinach to increase the absorption of iron and calcium.
RED ONION contains high antioxidant properties which have been found to have cancer-fighting, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Be aware that the first two layers of the onion contain 75% of the antioxidants, so peel your onions sparingly!
Creamy Dairy Free Broccoli Soup
- 1 tbsp extra vrigin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red onion peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and finely minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 cups homemade vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 large broccoli florets
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 120 g fresh organic baby spinach washed
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 avocado seed removed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 can chickpeas (optional)
- In a medium-sized pot, warm the extra virgin olive oil over a medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic, cooking for approximately 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Include the cayenne pepper and stir for approximately one minute.
- Add the homemade vegetable broth and sea salt to the pot and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and carefully include the broccoli florets to ensure you don't burn yourself. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the broccoli stalks are tender. Turn off the heat and stir through the lemon juice, spinach and nutritional yeast, stirring occasionally until the spinach has wilted.
- Allow the soup cool for 5 – 10 minutes and pour the the soup into a high-powered blender and process until smooth. Include the avocado and process until well combined.
- Distribute the soup amongst 4 bowls and serve with chia seeds and chickpeas. I hope you enjoy, bon appétit! 🙂
Equipment: This recipe may contain links to products and equipment that I use and love myself. The links may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and does not include any other condiments or garnishes. Although Curated Life Studio attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered as estimates and do not replace or substitute a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Loved This Recipe?
It would make my day if you left a comment below, or shared this post with your friends and family!
HAVE YOU PREPARED THIS RECIPE?
Let me know in the comments section below or by tagging #CuratedLifeKitchen on Instagram! 🙂
Creamy Dairy Free Broccoli Soup v.02 – April 2020
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup v.01 – October 2017