Vegan, creamy and completely delicious; this easy Sweet Potato, Carrot and Ginger Soup with Coconut Milk is perfect for a quick comforting dinner!
I am a perfectionist always striving to push myself further, harder – better. Although this is a great trait to grow and evolve – it’s also very limiting. So much can be learnt from letting things evolve organically.
Last week I was listening to a podcast from Food Blogger Pro on making an income through your blog. After the podcast, I explored the possibility of doing a few commissions as a recipe developer. One specific advert that was a good fit for my brand required 12 recipes per month with photographs. I’m lucky to do that over a year! So, I’ve set myself a little challenge: 12 Vegan Recipes and on the table within 45 minutes. If I can achieve that I will consider recipe development more thoroughly.
Normally, I like to test my recipes over a few weeks. Plan my images, composition, and then I write the post, which takes more time than producing the images combined. I like everything to be perfect. But, I’ve identified it’s limiting my ability to produce consistent content.
This week I’ve created this Spiced Carrot and Ginger Soup. Although I planned the recipe meticulously, I did not plan the photo shoot. It made me feel uncomfortable setting up my camera and having no idea of what to place and where. Perhaps that’s why I was drawn to food photography in the first place? Because it allows me to control every element of the image: The light, the background, the composition and the food styling. There is no luck for a “lucky shot” – if it doesn’t work it’s because your lighting or styling is off.
During this shoot, however, I found liberating to let go. I enjoyed the process more, and I found myself in a sense of joyous curiosity and exploration. In the end, I styled my images in a way that was different from my previous shoots and I absolutely loved the outcome!
Vegan Recipe Challenge List
So far my planned recipes are:
Spiced Carrot and Ginger Soup with Coconut Milk
Butternut Squash Middle Eastern Stew
Easy Vegetable and Bean Soup with Homemade Crusty Croutons.
Do you have any recipe requests? I would love to hear them in the comments section below! 🙂
Carrot and Ginger Soup with Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 medium-sized carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 400ml can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- chopping board
- measuring cups and spoons
- large-sized pot
- soup ladle
- blender, stick blender or food processor
- Over medium heat, warm the coconut oil large-sized pot. Once warmed, add the onions and cook for 2 minutes until translucent. Include the fresh ginger, coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook for one minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped carrots and sweet potato until well coated with the spices. Include the water, coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are well cooked.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the kaffir lime leaves and blend the remaining ingredients. Serve with your garnish of choice. Bon Appétit! ?
Equipment: This recipe may contain links to products and equipment that I use and love myself. The links may contain affiliate links, meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
Nutrition: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and does not include any other condiments or garnishes. Although Curated Life Studio attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered as estimates and do not replace or substitute a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Loved This Recipe?
It would make my day if you left a comment below, or shared this post with your friends and family!