Pumpkin and Split Pea Soup
Comforting, healthy and delightfully easy, this Moroccan Spiced Pumpkin and Split Pea Soup is perfect for the cooler months.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ brown onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 ½ cumin seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cm piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 medium-sized carrots peeled and coursely chopped
- 1 medium-sized butternut pumpkin (approx 1.5kg) peeled, seeded and cubed
- ⅓ cup yellow split peas
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp sea salt
- water or reduced salt homemade vegetable stock
In a Stock-Pot heat the extra virgin olive oil. Cook the brown onion and garlic for approximately 3 minutes until the onion is transparent.
Add the cumin seeds, cayenne pepper and ginger to the pot. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Include the carrots, butternut pumpkin and yellow split peas in the pot. Stir the vegetables so are well-coated in the spices.
Add the cinnamon stick, salt and enough water to lightly cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil, then simmer for approximately 50 minutes until the split peas are tender.
Set aside to cool. Carefully remove the cinnamon stick so you don't get burnt. Once removed, blend the soup in batches until the soup is smooth.
Serve among bowls and top with your favourite garnish. Bon Appétit! :)
Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 7.8g | Fat: 4.6g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 1322mg | Fiber: 11.2g | Sugar: 9.7g | Calcium: 182mg | Iron: 4mg