Vegan Lentil Soup with Indian Spices
This vegan Lentil Soup recipe with Indian spices is a perfect dish for an easy, healthy and delicious meal!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or ghee
- 1 red onion peeled and finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root
- 1 bunch of coriander leaves set aside and stalked finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 carrots peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 cup 200g masoor dal red lentils soaked overnight preferable
- 1 cup 200g moong dal yellow lentils , soaked overnight preferable*
- 6 cups 1.5 litres of water
- 1 curry leaf (optional)
- 3 ripe tomatoes washed and finely chopped
- Coriander leaves
- Natural yogurt (or vegan equivalent)
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chopping board
- Medium-sized pot
In a medium-sized pot, warm 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over a medium to high heat. Once warmed, add the red onion and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the onions are transparent. Include the minced garlic, ginger and coriander stalks and cook for 1 minute.
Inside the pot, push the onion mixture to the outer rim of the pot and place an additional 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in the centre. Include the garam masala, cumin, ground turmeric and cayenne pepper, toast until fragrant. Stir through the cubed carrots, masoor dal red lentils and moong dal yellow lentils.
Add the water and curry leaf, bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Once the lentils are el dente, stir through the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Once cooked, serve into bowls and top with yogurt, fresh coriander and pomegranate seeds. Bon Appétit! :)
- Moong Dal Yellow Lentils can be found in most indian grocers. If you're unable to find them, red lentils are a sufficient substitute.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 64.8g | Protein: 26.1g | Fat: 7.7g | Saturated Fat: 4.1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 864mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 0.9mg