Egg Free Caramelised Onion & Pea Muffins
Moist, savoury muffins without the use of eggs! They are perfect for breakfast, a lunchbox snack or accompanied with your favourite soup!
Servings: 12 muffins
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- generous handful of fresh sage washed & roughly chopped
- 3 medium-sized brown onions peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups (300g) organic plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) soy milk
- ½ cup 125ml organic canola oil
- 1 cup 150g defrosted frozen peas
- ½ cup 50g organic grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 handful of pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- chopping board
- measuring cups and spoons
- medium-sized frying pan
- 2 mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 12 capacity baking muffin tray
- Baking paper cut into 12 squares or muffin-tray cups
Coat a medium-sized frying pan with the olive oil and bring the stove to high heat. Add the chopped sage to the pan and cook for 1 minute until the sage is crispy. Remove the sage from the pan leaving any remaining olive oil. Return the frying pan to the stove and reduce the heat to a medium.
Add the sliced onions and allow to cook uncovered for 5 minutes and the onions are golden brown. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and water. Cook covered for 15 - 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the onions are well caramelised. Remove from the heat and put aside.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix through the dry ingredients: The bicarbonate of soda, the organic plain flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl mix through the wet ingredients: the apple cider vinegar, the soy milk and canola oil. Stir the wet ingredients through the dry ingredients until well combined.
In the batter, stir through the defrosted green peas, crispy sage, caramelised onions and grated cheddar cheese (optional). Divide the muffin batter evenly across the muffin tray cups and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a skewer can be inserted into the centre of a muffin, and be removed without any residue.
Once finished, remove the muffin tray from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring the muffins to a cooling rack. Bon Appétite! :)
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.1g | Protein: 5.3g | Fat: 5.9g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 306mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3.5g | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 1.8mg